Portuguese Augustinian missionaries introduced Christianity in Dhaka. In 1628, they established a church, called the ‘Church of the Assumption’, in Narinda, southern part of the Dhaka city. The second church of Dhaka was built in 1677 at Tejgaon.
The inscription on the pinnacle of the Church shows a date in Arabic numerals 1677, built by the Augustinian Fathers but many believe it was built in the 16th century. The Holy Rosary Church premises houses one of the two Catholic cemeteries in Dhaka.
This church runs two schools, Holy Cross College for girls and Notrè Dame College for boys.
Catholic Church, Tejgaon
P.O. Tejgaon, Dhaka-1215